Mike Tomlin not ‘seeking comfort’ from NFL over officiating mistakes
Mike Tomlin isn’t expecting an apology from the NFL for the officiating mistakes that were made Sunday night in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 33-30 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers.
If he got one, he wouldn’t share it publicly anyway.
“I’m not outlining that,” Tomlin said Tuesday when asked whether he had heard from the NFL. “I know oftentimes you do in an effort to seek comfort, but we are not seeking comfort.”
Referee Bill Vinovich’s crew did not call an obvious false start by Chargers tackle Sam Tevi. Several Steelers players eased up on the play, and that helped Philip Rivers throw a 46-yard touchdown pass to Travis Benjamin.
The Chargers also got a 73-yard punt return for a touchdown by Desmond King even though the Steelers’ Brian Allen was blocked in the back during the return.
An email request for comment from the NFL went unreturned.
The Chargers benefited from a call earlier in the season against the Cleveland Browns, and it led to the dismissal of down judge Hugo Cruz.
“We’re going to dwell in this misery that we are in and get ready for our next opportunity,” Tomlin said. “If we have any communication with those guys regarding what happened in that stadium, it will remain between us and them.”
Joe Rutter is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Joe at email@example.com or via Twitter @tribjoerutter.